March 26, 2018
Over the past few weeks, we have all been reminded of the importance of school safety.The Allegheny Valley School District continues to review its safety procedures and add practices to create a safer environment for our students.During this time:
- ALICE training has been completed for students at all grade levels.An appropriate review cycle has been established.
- Professional development continues for staff members on various programs within the District, including NIMS and ALICE.Additional classes have been scheduled through the end of the school year.
- The protocol for visitors to the schools has been reviewed and implemented with appropriate staff.
- The Anonymous Alert has been revised on the District’s web site and will go live this week.Students will be notified about this service and how it is to be used.
In addition, the following procedures will begin effective immediately:
1. Upon arrival to the main office entrance, visitors will be asked, via an intercom and security camera system, their purpose for coming to the school.Please speak slowly and clearly in your response.Parents may need to wait for approval before entering the building.We ask for your patience in this matter.
2. Depending on the reason for the visit, visitors will remain in the vestibule or allowed entry into the main office lobby.Once entering the lobby area, visitors will need to provide photo identification.All identification will be scanned through the Raptor system to provide a badge that must be worn while in the building.The identification will remain secured in the main office until that individual leaves the building.
3. Appointments for meetings with any staff member will be necessary.Staff members are asked to provide the main office with a Visitor List that includes any person coming to the building for an appointment.If your name is not on this list, you may need to wait and schedule an appointment.
4. When entering the building, we ask that you not hold the door for anyone who needs to enter behind you.These individuals also need to go through the proper procedures.
5. A table/cart will be stationed in the vestibule or outside area for any items that need to be dropped off for students.Please have the student’s first and last name on the item.Individuals should then tell the main office, through the intercom system, that the item is being dropped off and place the item on the table/cart for the secretary to retrieve.Exceptions to this procedure would be money and medication.Please give these items directly to the secretary.
6. Requests for early dismissals must be submitted at the beginning of the school day, unless an emergency situation exists.Parents/designees will sign out students in the vestibule area for early dismissals.Students will only be released to those individuals listed as Emergency Contacts on the Contact Verification Form on file with the District.
7. Parents/designees picking up students who are ill will enter the main office to sign out the student and speak with the nurse if appropriate.Students will only be released to those individuals listed as Emergency Contacts on the Contact Verification Form on file with the District.
8. Only those parents/visitors requiring entry into the school building will be permitted to enter the building beyond the vestibule and lobby areas.The building administrator or designee must approve all such requests.
As we continue discussions and implement additional safety procedures, further changes may occur throughout the rest of the school year.Please understand that these measures are put in place to make our schools a safer place for students.Your support of these procedures is greatly appreciated.If you should have any questions, feel free to contact your child’s building principal.
Patrick M. Graczyk
® 2016 Allegheny Valley SD, all rights reserved.